Cycling is a great exercise that has been a favourite amongst the young and the old. Age is no bar for someone to take up cycling as a sport. But if an individual wants to become a professional in the sport, they need to invest in some good pairs of women’s or men’s cycling knicks, helmet, a good cycle, and other safety gear.
One can purchase all of the equipment with ease. Still, it is essential to invest in the right kind when it comes to activewear so that it is more durable and sweat absorbing.
Men’s cycling knicks and women’s shorts are essentials for a cyclist wardrobe. This is because they are specifically designed for the sport, with padding at the back to prevent them from feeling uncomfortable while cycling long distances, as the seat can get very uncomfortable. The cyclist can take part in the sport without having to worry about the clothes ripping. This padding in cycling knicks/ shorts is known as chamois, as they are made from material chamois. It prevents the rubbing of the skin because it moves with the individual like a pedal.
How to select the perfect cycling shorts:
- Know the variety: Many varieties of men’s cycling knicks and women’s shorts are available in the market. Knickers or 3/4th shorts are a trendy type of cycling shorts. There are also cycling shorts available for women that fit their shape and give them comfort. Some shorts even mimic a skirt; they are known as skorts. There are bib knickers available for men. They are a pair of shorts that are knicker length and have an upper portion styled like a bib to secure the shorts in place.
- Always try on pre-purchase: Cycling shorts are meant to be designed for a snug, custom fit, which varies from individual to individual. Hence it is essential to always try the shorts on before buying them. It is very common for one to feel uncomfortable standing up with those shorts during the trial. However, it will feel completely different during cycling, far more comfortable. Try to reason out the different prices on the shorts, try on cheaper and higher-priced shorts to discern the differences first-hand and then invest in it.
How to care for cycling shorts:
- For sanitary reasons, the very first suggestion is to always wear clean cotton underwear underneath the shorts. This will not only help keep shorts clean but also avoid any discomfort during cycling.
- Please read the care instructions on the shorts to care for them properly. If they have specific instructions, kindly follow them to keep them intact for a long time.
- Please do not wash with hot water, as there are chances of it damaging the clothing. It is always advised to wash them with cold water to prevent any change in size or other material properties.
- Do not dry the shorts in any heated dryer setting environment. It is advised to always line-dry the shorts.
- Use a gentle cleanser to wash your shorts, as harsh detergents can undoubtedly damage the material.
- Please do not use any fabric softener to use after washing the shorts, as this coats the fabric with a film that block-stains and could make the shorts lose their elasticity.