In the busy lifestyle and hectic work schedule of the people of Singapore, depression is getting more and more popular. A depressed individual is unable to find pleasure or interest in his or her daily activities. It is essentially a mood disorder that can take up a new look everyday — on some days you may have a low mood while other days you may have self-defeating thoughts and other such things. Keeping depression with yourself as a constant partner can make your life terrible. This is so for both the parties — the sufferer and those surrounding them. Counselling can act as an effective solution for depression among other treatments. Talking with the experts in Singapore helps many people, including the workforce of the country, to fight their situation and come out from their terrible condition. At Incontact, you can get the best counselling advice from our specialists.
Symptoms Of Depression
Often depression goes unnoticed. People are unable to recognise depression at its initial stages. However, we have made you a list of the symptoms that are very common. A person suffering from depression will have at least about five to six symptoms in common.
- You may face abrupt changes in your sleeping patterns. It may be insomnia or oversleeping.
- You may observe disrupted eating patterns — overeating or loss of appetite.
- Constant loss of energy or tiredness
- Lasting stomach upset or headaches.
- You start isolating yourself from your loved ones and reduce your participation in social activities.
- Chronic pain.
- Loss of interest in libido.
- Disturbances in the menstrual cycle.
- You may also sense worthlessness at times, with no interest in your daily activities.
- Lack of concentration and a continuous feeling of anxiousness, worry and fear.
- Having a lack of self-esteem, indecisiveness and no motivation or target for achieving your goals. You may also notice your work rate dropping.
Studies show that 1 out of every 7 individuals in Singapore suffer from depression, anxiety or alcohol-abuse problems in their life. It has also been proved that many of the Singapore residents didn’t opt for counselling procedures when they needed it the most. Whatever be the problem or symptoms, don’t hesitate to ask for professional help.
Role Of Counselling In Tackling Depression
Depression can be of different types including major depression, mild depression, seasonal affective disorder (SAD), bipolar disorder and much more. Counselling allows the individuals to have their own vent. It gives them the sense of being heard and understood. Sometimes, in our lowest moments, all we need is a person to lend a passionate, sympathetic ear to hear us out.
Counselling allows the depressed individuals to share their stories and woes with impartial and non-judgmental outsiders. Here’s the massive role that counselling plays —
- It encourages the individual to rebuild their self-esteem and helps them to look at the positive and brighter sides of life. It helps them realise that their own needs and desires are important and they matter for their loved ones.
- Once the individual starts showing positive outcomes of the counselling, motivating them becomes easier. And both — the sufferer and the counsellor, move a step forward towards victory. This encourages the individual to continue sharing and communicating. This in turn helps them to overcome their fears and negative assumptions.
- Counselling helps to address the underlying, real issues which may be preventing the actual progress of the individual. It also helps the person identify his or her patterns of delay or avoidance.
- Counselling offers the patients different realistic techniques and tools that will help them to understand themselves and their thoughts better. This will fortify them to cope with their negative thought patterns.
- It shows the individuals the importance of self-talk and also teaches them how to do it in the correct manner. This encourages them to become self-aware and also teaches self-love. It allows them to express and voice their own thoughts and opinions.
- Counselling allows a therapist to ask the right questions at proper instances. This will offer the required contrast and this helps the individuals have positive realisations. Breakthroughs happen at this moment and the individual starts to see the positive and better side of life then. And this is only possible when you go and seek professional help. Talking with a friend may not provide these results as they are not trained to handle these problems.
- A trained counsellor helps the individuals to understand and deal with their problems of perception faster. This is done more accurately and works more effectively for the individuals because of the expert assistance and professional training of the counsellors.
In Singapore, counselling for depression is usually combined with other treatment plans. Medications may be prescribed by counsellors, if need arises. Medications always do not work for everyone but antidepressants can work for many people to deal with symptoms like poor sleep, lack of concentration, mood swings and so on. This will enhance the individual’s tolerance and increase their strength to deal with the crisis. So, whenever you find yourself or someone else suffering from depression, take an expert’s advice anywhere in Singapore.